Sunday, April 4, 2010

Baby Angel


After being intubated, 2 weeks on NCPAP, weaning, and failing on nasal cannula, she finally tolerated minimal oxygen support. I was the proud intern. This is Baby Angel. Born preterm, 31 weeks by pediatric aging, via low segment ceasarean section. Her mommy died because of ecclampsia. She was readmitted because of aspiration pneumonia and coded twice. Today, she sleeps soundly in her incubator. While her dad goes from one bed to another, looking for mommies who are willing to donate breastmilk for Baby Angel. In this case, no such thing as 'bantay failure'. I hope she gets better soon.

I liked pediatrics for the cute babies. I liked seeing babies like Baby Angel get well. But I can't be in Pediatrics... because not all cute babies get well. Some of them will die.

He was an 8 year old kid, who was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma about a year ago. He underwent right hip disarticulation. He has been sitting for the last couple of months because he had trouble breathing when lying down. Then one day, he complained of difficulty breathing despite oxygen support. He waited for his mom, and after a while, he coded. I was there, doing chest compressions, until his mother asked us to stop resuscitating.

I don't know how to put it in words. It's different when an adult dies. Kids should not die, because they're kids. They're babies.

I can't be in Pediatrics because I don't like computations, formulas, tiny vessels, tantrums... and dying children. It's too sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment